Efficient idea generation with the aim of optimising the consumer/product interface
What is an Innovation Workshop?
A group of specially selected participants or customers works under the guidance of a team of moderators (chief moderator and co-moderators) to develop concept ideas for products or services. Their task consists in deriving potential for improvement or even generating ideas for new products. In this way the customers are involved in the product development process at an early stage therefore the concepts can be better adapted to their current needs and their anticipated future needs in this respect can also be discovered.
To do this, the workshop addresses the participants’ creative or innovative potential. The task is not only discussed in detail but in addition with the help of a variety of materials (for example simulations) and creative techniques (for example brainstorming, brainwriting, buzzword technique or Osborn method) it is intensively developed further, as innovative approaches are identified.
The duration of each workshop greatly depends on the complexity of the task and varies between 4 hours and 1.5 days.
Who takes part in Innovation Workshops?
The participants undergo a strict, often multi-level screening process, as they have to be “experts” in the area being studied. They are so-called heavy consumers in a particular product area or active users of a particular product and can therefore both clearly verbalise their own needs and also discover their own new needs.
In addition they need to be capable and motivated towards creative group work.
A special target group consists of the so-called “innovators”:
- Innovators are “ahead of their time” in terms of their needs and hence can provide pointers to trends which the majority of people will only develop in the future;
- They possess a high level of understanding of the problem and knowledge in respect of the relevant areas and are therefore in a position to assess existing concepts and technical innovations critically;
- They are able to point out possible potential and discover deficits which the “normal customer” has not yet recognised.
Where are Innovation Workshops used?
- To obtain new ideas for products and services
- Concept tests
- Brand core analysis
- Advertising concept analysis
Our Tool therefor is the: